[gPXE] How to modify the code can not get DHCP information on the2nd

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri Nov 5 13:27:57 EDT 2010

sqwbwh wrote:
> At 2010-11-05 23:42:16,"ShaoMiller"<Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca> wrote:
>
>     sqwbwh wrote:
>>     At 2010-11-05 23:13:19,"ShaoMiller"<Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca>
>>     wrote:
>>
>>         sqwbwh wrote:

>>>             I enjoy using the search feature at the gPXE (Etherboot)
>>>             wiki. Please see:
>>>
>>>             http://etherboot.org/wiki/doku.php?do=search&id=encapsulated&fulltext=Search
>>>             http://etherboot.org/wiki/msdhcp
>>>             http://etherboot.org/wiki/dhcpd
>>>
>>>         ShaoMiller
>>>         Use the search function.
>>>         Use hyperlinks to provide you with three options for the
>>>         introduction of 178 not found.
>>>         178 keyword search does not find use-cached search did not
>>>         find the relevant presentation.
>>>
>>>         Hehe. Could you give me the answer it?. English is almost a
>>>         maze for me
>>>

>>         I'm afraid that I'm not sure how to explain gPXE encapsulated
>>         options any better than they are explained in the wiki. DHCP
>>         option 175 should be a string of bytes. Within that byte
>>         sequence, there are sub-options. 'use-cached' is sub-option
>>         178. So your DHCP option 175 could look like:
>>
>>         0xB2 0x01 0x01
>>
>>         where,
>>
>>         0xB2 : DHCP gPXE encapsulated option 178.
>>         0x01 : The encapsulated option's value occupies 1 byte.
>>         0x01 : The encapsulated option's value is 1 (true).
>>
>>         I do not know which DHCP service you use, so I do not know
>>         how you can reconfigure your service to give PXE clients this
>>         'use-cached' option via DHCP.
>>
>>     Shao Miller
>>     dhcp server is msdhcp
>>     Use 1781.jpg and 1782.jpg is set. Enable use-cached did not succeed
>>     Picture shows what can it?
>     Those screen-shots show a DHCP option 178, not a DHCP gPXE
>     encapsulated option 178.
>
>     You need DHCP option 175. _Inside_ option 175, you need to have
>     gPXE encapsulated option 178. See:
>
>     http://etherboot.org/wiki/msdhcp#setting_up_a_gpxe_encapsulated_options_on_windows_dhcp
>
>     It shows exactly how to create the DHCP gPXE encapsulated options.
>     175 is a _container_. 178 ('use-cached') goes inside that
>     container. Change to option 175 and you will be fine, since your
>     bytes are exactly as I explained above: Option 178, 1 byte long,
>     value 1. All gPXE encapsulated options go inside option 175. 0xB2
>     means 178.
>
>     Please remember to carbon-copy the list using Reply-All.
>
> Shao Miller
> i do 3.jpg and 4.jpg
> but no success
> If the screenshots just fine. Like http://etherboot.org/wiki/msdhcp #
> setting_up_a_gpxe_encapsulated_options_on_windows_dhcp
> The hyperlink is the CHAP user and password to understand
> 178 still do not understand.
Your screen-shots look good! Except that you are missing the final
terminating 0xFF byte! At the end of all gPXE encapsulated options,
there should be a terminating byte.

0xB2 0x01 0x01 0xFF

0xFF: No more gPXE encapsulated options.

Also, what version of gPXE are you using? Please use gPXE >= 1.0.0.

Thank you again for including the mailing-list.

- Shao Miller