[gPXE] Booting MS-DOS using gPXE/iSCSI: C: drive is read only

Miller, Shao Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Mon Mar 1 15:23:57 EST 2010

-----Original Message-----
From: gpxe-bounces at etherboot.org [mailto:gpxe-bounces at etherboot.org] On
Behalf Of ACS
Sent: Wednesday, February 17, 2010 14:26
To: gpxe at etherboot.org
Subject: [gPXE] Booting MS-DOS using gPXE/iSCSI: C: drive is read only

I just managed to setup my diskless DOS boot using gPXE and iSCSI
DOS (6.22) boots OK, even old games (ancient doom) that are present in
the
DOS disk image start fine.
However, I can't write anything to c:\ !
executing:
echo 1 > c:\test.txt
results in general failure error, and a 0 bytes file on disk

dnsmasq/ietd on centos 5.3.
used  iSCSI target is writable when connected from XP/Windows7
Used rom-0-matic to download stable ISO image, for RTL8139

Any hints welcome.....

-----Original Message End-----

"ACS,"

Are you connecting multiple clients to the same iSCSI target at the same
time?  The FAT filesystem is not designed with multiple simultaneous
clients in mind, as far as I know.  If you have a Windows XP and/or a
Windows 7 and/or a DOS client connected at the same time, you could
experience filesystem corruption and strange errors like "general
failure."

Also, see if your iSCSI target software allows for multiple clients.  It
could be that you need to disconnect all clients first, then maybe a
single client will have better luck.

- Shao Miller