[gPXE] Booting MS-DOS using gPXE/iSCSI: C: drive is read only

ACS adrian.bacon at xs4all.nl
Mon Mar 1 16:52:05 EST 2010

 <Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca> wrote:

> Are you connecting multiple clients to the same iSCSI target at the same
> time?

I only connect to iSCSI target using a single initiator at a time, I'm aware
that most file systems aren't network filesystems.
I already tried 2 targets, both exhibit the same problem (even after
restarting target service or server):
-centos5.3 ietd
-server 2008x64: microsoft iscsi software target

I have 2 guesses why MS-DOS can't write to disc:

-There's no scsi driver loaded in DOS, and DOS only has limited built-in
SCSI read capabilities to just start and get scsi driver loaded.
-The gpxe boot rom is read-only,  after OS gets started more advanced
drivers should take over , giving write capabilities

Again, these are just guesses.

Seems like AoE is the way to go, since this just simulates ata disk, which
should work right away

Adrian Bacon