I will targetting live cd of debian
It is quite similar to ubuntu live CD, except that
casper is called as
One important point is that, debian has support for HTTPFS inbuild. However I could not get my head around it.
One of the thing that I did not understand is that, there was no
httpfs executable in initramfs. and they are using that
do_httpmount() function. Another point which is not very clear to me is that, my guess is they
mounting squashfs image over http and not entire ISO, but I need to confirm this.
I hope that atleast Debian should boot over BKO. After problem from fedora, it is quite de-moralizing as we are having only two working destributions.
- Just one small issue is that, I have to use squashfs image instead of iso image.
- The problem in using iso image is that, once initrd job is (almost) over, it runs
/bin/run-initwhich is binary executable,
- It tries to remove initramfs filesystem.
- As I am mounting ISO inside initramfs, it also tries to delete this iso, and fails. with this failue the init scripts panics and stop the boot process.
Added ubuntu target based on filesystem.squashfs instead of .iso in debian menu. So, debiean kernel and debian initramfs tries to use ubuntu filesystem.squashfs. It boots sucessfully but gets confused after some time and keeps doing same thing again and again. It keeps looping inside step Generating locales… and never completes it.
I was thinking about creating seperate initrd with run-init from ubuntu.
- Modified the code of ubuntu
casperscript to support mount
.iso, this gives different error when I mount
.iso. Error is
run-init: nuking initramfs contents: Directory not empty
- This is same error that I get when I use
- This error was mentioned here with solution. But when I tried that solution, it did not worked