[gPXE] NEW Could not initialise iSCSI device: Input/Output error

Dustin Eward emptythemagazine at gmail.com
Wed Oct 6 23:47:43 EDT 2010

I got my Gigabit Intel NICs today.

I followed the instructions on the wiki for flashing gPXE to the NIC's ROM.
Worked like a charm.

CTRL-B

dhcp net0
192.168.1.109

Perfect!

sanboot iscsi:192.168.1.222::::iqn.toshiba:E521

...Input/Output Error. Same thing I was getting with the Broadcom BCM4401,
but without the weird driver usage anomaly.

If I mis-spell it intentionally, it tells me the target doesn't exist. So
the Input/Output error seems to imply that it is communicating, merely
refusing to use it.

I tried pxebs. It always tells me the server type is invalid.

However, in Windows XP, I can fire up my Microsoft iSCSI Initiator, connect,
format, and use this iSCSI drive just fine. Flawless functionality.

I'm about to conclude that gPXE is an utterly failed project that simply
doesn't work.

I tried just firing up the Windows 7 Ultimate x86/x64 Intall DVD, becasue I
have read all over the interwebz that it supports iSCSI; this is apparently
not true.  There is no option for iSCSI discovery.