[gPXE] remote booting on HP hardware results in blinking cursor

Andrew Bobulsky rulerof at gmail.com
Wed Nov 24 10:50:53 EST 2010

Hello Andrew,

Based on information I read at HP and then here http://www.broadcom.com/collateral/pg/5764M-PG100-R.pdf , it looks like your Z400 has a LOM NIC with PCI VENdor and DEVice ID's of 14E4 and 1684.

I'm not sure if there are any Broadcom drivers currently in gPXE, but if there are, does anyone know which one[s] if any might be worth trying?

--------

If you're using keep-san against an unformatted iSCSI target and booting a Windows 7 install disk, unless the NIC driver isn't present or some other software issue is preventing iSCSI connections, the target should show up as a disk in the system.  Not being able to install to it can happen, but that's a different issue with different causes, naturally ;-)

After gPXE attaches and then boots the SAN disk, if you're getting a blinking cursor, that could point to any myriad of errors (for what it's worth, I've noticed that the Windows Boot Manager MBR prints "SRLBCG" and then blanks the screen).  It could be helpful to troubleshoot by using a diagnostic MBR or something, but that's a little beyond the scope of this email.

I usually troubleshoot errors that you're experiencing by trying a different NIC.  Sometimes the UNDI driver, if that's what you're using, doesn't play nice with all NICs.

A few questions though for myself or others to help you troubleshoot:

What iSCSI target are you using?
What method are you using to boot gPXE?
Have you tried any other NICs?

Cheers,