[gPXE] using gPXE as boot rom for virtualbox

James Richardson james at jamesr.biz
Wed Nov 24 09:01:27 EST 2010

Hello list,

I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to have virtualbox boot with gpxe. I
followed the steps on the wiki at
http://www.etherboot.org/wiki/romburning/vbox without success. I was
able to build the image and pad it to a 4k boundary.

The original image was 58368, I padded to 61440 bytes.

When I try to load the image in virtualbox, I get the following
message: FATAL: Could not read from the boot medium! System halted.

I am using virtualbox on a windows 7 host. I built the image on a Debian
64 bit system, using the code I checked out from git.

I am wondering if anyone can help me out here.

My workaround: I downloaded a gpxe floppy image. Virtualbox seems to
work from the floppy image, but I would prefer not to have to use this
step.

Thank,
James