[gPXE] DHCP Client ID in gPXE 1.0.0?

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Sat Mar 20 01:18:49 EDT 2010

Michael Brown wrote:

> ...To avoid appearing selfish, I should probably add that I personally
> think that
> several other people (such as Stefan and Joshua) should also be committing
> directly to the main tree, rather than pushing patches via Marty.

Personally agreed.  I have not previously enjoyed the results of that
sort of freedom from both of them, but I do have faith that both Joshua
and Stefan could use appropriate judgment for a trivial change, critical
change, versus discussion-based change.  I certainly have a high degree
of respect and faith in their contributions, and their frequency
suggests to me that the gPXE code-base could benefit from such a
freedom.  I could be wrong, obviously.

There are possibly social/political considerations for having different
degrees of freedom for developers.  A developer might ask, "Why don't I
have the freedom that so-and-so enjoys?  Isn't my code as
good/trustworthy?"  It could hinder gPXE's evolution if a developer lost
interest in the project due to unsatisfying/unavailable answers to such
questions and I would be sad for that situation.  It could be difficult
for someone to "pipe up" with such questions too, so others might not be
able to directly witness that interest fading.  I do also have a high
degree of faith in that anyone with such concerns could discuss it with
Marty privately.  It's possible that their concerns could even be
reflected in his decisions as Project Leader, albeit anonymously.

That being said, nobody asked for a vote, so I merely cast an agreement
for now. :)

>   I think
> Marty's role as a patch coordinator adds most value when it comes to
> managing
> patches submitted from people who don't regularly contribute, or when
> significant review and changes to the patch are expected.

This certainly helps to ensure alignment with the already-mentioned
constraints which I believe we hold dear.  Thanks for that, Marty;
another task as Project Leader beyond those that Michael mentioned
previously. :)  I'm comfortable with this co-ordination and even the
discussion concerning the nature of that co-ordination and where it is
best applied.

- Shao Miller