[gPXE] DHCP Client ID in gPXE 1.0.0?

Steven Shiau steven at nchc.org.tw
Thu Mar 18 21:47:31 EDT 2010

On 2010/3/18 下午 01:59, Marty Connor wrote:

>>> Is that possible to provide a compiling option to make this?
>>
>> No, and I would argue strongly against doing so.  We avoid using constructions
>> like "#ifdef MY_FAVOURITE_FEATURE" wherever possible in gPXE, because of the
>> sheer amount of pain it caused in the old Etherboot codebase.
>> Michael
>
> Though I agree in general with the "#ifdef considered harmful"
> philosophy that gPXE was designed and implemented with, I think patches
> should be judged individually on their merits.
>
> If this is a simple patch that can be executed with a trivial #ifdef,
> which will be off by default, then I have less of an objection than with
> a complicated patch that affects a lot of code.  The maintenance effect
> would, in my estimation be quite negligible.
>
> Let us use some discretion in deciding what things we "go to the wall"
> for, and give the situation a fair evaluation.
>
> Steven, do you have a patch to propose?
No really. My dirty hacking is just to comment out that part in dhcp.c.
Since I have no idea about what it will affect the Infiniband, and I do
not have Infiniband here, so...

Steven.

--
Steven Shiau <steven _at_ nchc org tw> <steven _at_ stevenshiau org>
National Center for High-performance Computing, Taiwan.