[gPXE] gpxe & keeping pxe stack loaded & DOS NDIS??

Shao Miller Shao.Miller at yrdsb.edu.on.ca
Fri Mar 12 07:55:50 EST 2010

Michael Brown wrote:

> What was the change?

A couple of things to note: DOS UNDI drivers expect the netif to be
closed when they start, it seems.  The change was removing the
shutdown() call from bzimage (for undionly.kkpxe).  While 'startpxe'
helps the exact same test for normal gPXE drivers, it seems that it
actually hinders undionly.kkpxe with the shutdown() call removed.
Debugging revealed that netdev->ops is overwritten during netdev_open()
for the UNDI netif, though its ->name was intact.

somedriver.gpxe with 'startpxe' -> MEMDISK -> DOS UNDI -> Ok
undionly.kkpxe with 'startpxe' & (shutdown() removed) -> MEMDISK -> DOS
UNDI -> Failure
undionly.kkpxe with 'ifclose' & (shutdown() removed) -> MEMDISK -> DOS
UNDI -> Ok

'startpxe' was thus only a regression only so far as my testing
processes go for undionly.kkpxe, which I hadn't tested for a long time. :)

- Shao Miller