[gPXE] GRUB 1.97 PXE

Marty Connor mdc at etherboot.org
Tue Nov 3 20:04:32 EST 2009

Hi Paul,

I approved your post to the gPXE mailing list.  Please join the list if
you would like to continue sending and receiving messages to the list.

At the moment we're in a transition from the old Etherboot-Discuss and
Etherboot-Developer lists to the new gpxe at etherboot.org list. You might
also want to join Etherboot-Discuss for the short term until we do the
official switchover (which should be within a week or two)

Your question is an interesting one, and we are working on better PXE
compatibility right now.  We recently been in contact with the author of
DNSMasq about compatibility.

I'm not quite sure I understand how this is supposed to work, and the
difference in behavior between other PXE implementations and gPXE.  I'm
sure we can find out with a little debugging, and we're interested in
doing so.

gPXE stands for GPL'ed PXE.  When I came up with the name I was mostly
looking for something that emphasized that we were doing a FOSS PXE
implementation, so I followed the pattern of various other things like
gcc, gawk, gnus, etc.

Thanks again for your report, and I would like to see if we can
understand what is causing the difference in behavior you are seeing
between PXE implementations.

Regards,

Marty