[gPXE] GRUB 1.97 PXE

Paul Geraedts p.f.j.geraedts at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:31:35 EST 2009

Hello,

First of all, thanks for all the effort you all put in Etherboot/GPXE
(I've much enjoyed your Google Tech Talk Video). I recently started
using GPXE and it simply is a great tool! I already used various GPXE
features succesfully.

The one thing I can't seem to get to work though is the combination of
GPXE and the PXE version of GRUB2 (the latest v1.97 to be precise). I
followed the instructions on http://grub.enbug.org/PXEBOOT to build
the GRUB PXE image and used DNSmasq in Ubuntu (Karmic) to serve the
image to the client side (my laptop). It works with the build-in PXE
ROM in my laptop, but it doesn't seem to work with GPXE. (To be
precise: GRUB only wants to start in rescue mode in the latter case).
Am I doing something wrong, or is there some sort of incompatibility
between the two tools?

Any help on this is much appreciated.

Cheers, Paul

BTW, what does the G in GPXE actually stand for?