[gPXE] gPXE keeping dhcp data after being loaded by pxe rom

Joshua Oreman oremanj at rwcr.net
Fri May 14 17:47:35 EDT 2010

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 4:46 PM, Jedrzej Kalinowski
<kalinoj1 at iem.pw.edu.pl> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> gPXE image is loaded from tftp server after my machine executes its
> onboard PXE boot procedure and gets the filename from the DHCP server.
>
> Does any of the images provided by gPXE provide me with the possibility of
> not needin to perform 'dhcp net0', but to have it remembered from the dhcp
> request done by my PXE rom? I was thinking that .kpxe or .kkpxe could do
> the trick, but I'm doing echo ${net0/ip} and it seems that the IP field is
> empty.
>
> Does it work wrong or maybe there is just no such possibility, and I just
> need to repeat the dhcp request after loading the gpxe image whatever the
> type?

Since gPXE is often chainloaded in this fashion in an environment
where you *want* to make a second DHCP request (because the DHCP
server hands out the real boot file to user-class "gPXE" and
undionly.kpxe to everyone else), skipping re-DHCP is not the default.
However, it is possible. Use undionly.kkpxe (not .kpxe) and run

gPXE> set use-cached 1
gPXE> dhcp net0

Instead of making an actual DHCP request, it will copy the cached
information from the parent PXE stack.

-- Josh