[gPXE] DHCP Client ID in gPXE 1.0.0?

Marty Connor mdc at etherboot.org
Thu Mar 18 01:59:06 EDT 2010

On 3/18/10 1:34 AM, Michael Brown wrote:

>>> No.
>>
>> Is that possible to provide a compiling option to make this?
>
> No, and I would argue strongly against doing so.  We avoid using constructions
> like "#ifdef MY_FAVOURITE_FEATURE" wherever possible in gPXE, because of the
> sheer amount of pain it caused in the old Etherboot codebase.
> Michael

Though I agree in general with the "#ifdef considered harmful"
philosophy that gPXE was designed and implemented with, I think patches
should be judged individually on their merits.

If this is a simple patch that can be executed with a trivial #ifdef,
which will be off by default, then I have less of an objection than with
a complicated patch that affects a lot of code.  The maintenance effect
would, in my estimation be quite negligible.

Let us use some discretion in deciding what things we "go to the wall"
for, and give the situation a fair evaluation.

Steven, do you have a patch to propose?

/ Marty /