[gPXE] Wrapped kernel loads but won't execute

Hogben, Colin H Colin.Hogben at ccfe.ac.uk
Tue Mar 16 10:23:51 EDT 2010

We have a linux system which currently boots from its internal hard
disk, and are trying to convert it to boot from the network.

The ultimate aim is to mount the root partition over NFS; but I
thought it better to go one step at a time.  What I have done is:

* created gPXE disk image using rom-o-matic and written to floppy
* used wraplinux to create ELF file from same vmlinuz, initrd and
   kernel options as used by grub
* configured bootp and tftp daemons suitably

When the PC boots, it reads the floppy OK, gets its network address
etc from bootp, fetches the ELF file OK but then hangs when trying to
execute it.  I.e. no further output to screen or serial console.

Am I right to expect that gPXE should work with a stock kernel and
initrd wrapped in this way?  Any idea what might be wrong?  Or how to
investigate further?  I've scoured the wiki and asked uncle Google but
to no avail.  Any help is welcome.

Additional info:

ELF file was built with this command:

  wraplinux --elf \
   -p "ro root=/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600" \
   --initrd=/boot/initrd-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6.img \
   -o lin-kg10.nbi \
   /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.18-1.2798.fc6

The gPXE version is 0.9.9 (1.0.0 did not work with bootp - reported as
FS#75).

I downloaded the tarball for 0.9.9 and built with debug enabled, to
confirm that it is getting as far as trying to execute.  Log from
serial console is attached.

--
Colin Hogben