[gPXE] Wi-FI connectivity from CDROM

Kyle Kienapfel doctor.whom at gmail.com
Thu Dec 31 19:13:09 EST 2009

On Thu, Dec 31, 2009 at 11:04 AM, Doug Glenn <doug at foruminfosystems.com> wrote:

> Greetings Joshua,
>
> Thank you for the prompt reply.  I was afraid of that :(  Output from the lspci)
>
> 0e:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Wireless WiFi Link 5100
>
> iwlagn is the module to load for it, my apologies as I had not looked
> beyond the google information beyond flashing the BIOS and finding it
> worked, I assumed the post I read was correct.... and thus relearned
> all about assume....
>
> Do you know if anyone has done anything like this where I could find a
> set of procedures on how to create the CD and then boot from LTSP? The
> other option would be to boot from the OpenSuse L-i-f-e dvd so the
> same set of applications are available and enable wireless
> connectivity.

Not quite a set of procedures but a reasonable sounding suggestion:
http://www.opensubscriber.com/message/ltsp-discuss@lists.sourceforge.net/4935746.html
Try booting knoppix to run level 2 and then "X -query"
Remastering a live cd/dvd might be an idea.

I haven't used ltsp since version 3, so I might be outdated. Version 3
had enough stuff in the initrd to get an nfs connection going to the
ltsp server, and via the nfs share an X server would get started on
the client.

Can these laptops boot off of usb? if you decided to shoehorn wireless
support into the ltsp initrd, starting it off of USB would be less
painful than CD-R's and CD-RW's :)