[gPXE-devel] COW Overlay in WinVBlock -- willing to implement

Kenton Varda temporal at gmail.com
Wed May 4 01:32:53 EDT 2011

Hi Shao and gpxe-devel,

In a post on this page you mentioned that you are planning to add COW
overlay support to WinVBlock:
  http://reboot.pro/8168/page__st__300

I have a need for this (in order to netboot multiple machines off a common
base image), and have not been able to find any existing non-proprietary
solution.  Can I help you implement it?  If so, can you give me pointers on
where to start and what to do?

I am fluent in userland C (including low-level Win32 and POSIX), but have
never ventured into kernel drivers before.  FWIW I'm a Google employee, but
this is for a personal project.  Namely, my house, which is optimized for
LAN parties.  I currently have 12 machines netbooting Ubuntu over nbd and
running games under WINE, but sadly there are a few too many games that
don't work.  :/

Thanks,
-Kenton