[gPXE-devel] [PULL] ipxe-sync

Marty Connor mdc at etherboot.org
Fri Jul 16 20:13:35 EDT 2010

H. Peter Anvin wrote on 7/16/10 6:37 PM:
> On 07/08/2010 08:43 AM, Michael Brown wrote:
>>
>> If you want to follow the PMM specification then your use of PMM handles has to
>> follow that specification.  You either get your own vendor ID, or you follow
>> the rules set down by the vendor who owns the ID you are using.  As long as
>> you don't introduce changes that break compatibility with the officially-
>> assigned usage then you're welcome to keep using the existing ID in gPXE.
>>

> For what it's worth, Microsoft (which is the current maintainer of this
> registry) does hand out vendor IDs for free, unlike e.g. IEEE, or the
> PCI and USB consortia.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/pnp/pnpid.mspx
>
> I notice, for example, that GPX is not taken.
>
> 	-hpa

Thanks for the pointer.

I did the research a week ago when we were informed of that our use of
the current identifier could be an issue for us.

I then applied for and was granted an ID for our organization.

> Download the Microsoft Excel file Download the list of currently approved Plug and Play IDs
> (97 KB Microsoft Excel file; July 9, 2010)

I notice that the downloadable list of currently approved IDs has not
been updated since the day after our request was approved, but as you
can see, we have one now:

> Subject: RE: PNPID Request!
> Date: Sat, 10 Jul 2010 02:24:53 +0000
> From: Requests for Plug and Play Vendor IDs <pnpid at microsoft.com>
> To: Marty Connor <mdc at etherboot.org>
>
> July 9, 2010
>
> PNPID
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/pnppwr/pnp/pnpid.mspx
>
> Plug and Play ID
> Approval Letter
>
> Etherboot Project
>
> Dear Marty,
>
> This is to notify you that your request for a Vendor ID has been approved.
>
> Your Vendor ID is:     ETH
>
> If you have any questions please contact PNPID at Microsoft.com<mailto:PNPID at Microsoft.com>.
>
> Best regards,
>
> PNPID Administration
> Microsoft Corporation

I chose vendor ID ETH for our project, and as I understand it, we can
assign product identifiers as required for gPXE and whatever else we
might someday create as a project.

So far I have found these places in the gPXE codebase that use this kind
of identifier:

---------
src/arch/i386/prefix/romprefix.S:
#define PMM_HANDLE_BASE ( ( ( 'F' - 'A' + 1 ) << 26 ) + \
                           ( ( 'E' - 'A' + 1 ) << 21 ) + \
                           ( ( 'N' - 'A' + 1 ) << 16 ) )
---------
src/arch/i386/interface/pcbios/abft.c:     .oem_id = "FENSYS",
---------
src/arch/i386/interface/pcbios/ibft.c:     .oem_id = "FENSYS",
---------
src/arch/i386/interface/pcbios/sbft.c:     .oem_id = "FENSYS",
---------
src/include/gpxe/iscsi.h:#define IANA_EN_FEN_SYSTEMS 10019
---------
src/net/tcp/iscsi.c:             IANA_EN_FEN_SYSTEMS );
---------

I believe that only two of them require administrative action.  One is
complete and I am working on the other one.

My current plan is to make these changes as a single commit once we have
all the proper identifiers administratively registered.

/ Marty /