[gPXE-devel] Etherboot Enterprise ID request

Eric W. Biederman ebiederm at xmission.com
Wed Jul 14 17:25:09 EDT 2010

Marty Connor <mdc at etherboot.org> writes:

> Eric W. Biederman wrote on 7/13/10 1:37 PM:
>> Marty Connor<mdc at etherboot.org>  writes:
>>
>>> Hi Eric,
>>>
>>> I was wondering if you got my email recently about acking the information change
>>> request for the Etherboot Project Enterprise ID?
>>
>> Why do you care?  Etherboot's successors implements neither snmp nor dhcpv6.
>>
>> Eric
>
> I care because we happen to use enterprise ID for a field in our iSCSI SAN
> booting login request, and also because we have plans to implement IPv6 booting
> support in gPXE.
>
> Right now we are using an enterprise ID that we do not control, and would much
> rather have control of the one that was registered to our project.
>
> Did you receive the ack request to change contact information for our Enterprise
> ID?  If so, would you ack it so we can use the one that was assigned to us?
>
> If there's a reason why you prefer not to do this please tell me what it is.
> I'd really like to get this done soon so we can update our code.

I prefer not to.  Marty you and Michael Brown have not successfully
figured out how to work with each other, and neither of you alone
appears to me to be a proper successor of the etherboot project.

When I registered this number I figured I was the contact person
holding this number in trust for the etherboot project, and I figure I
still am.

The open source successors of etherboot are free to use that
Enterprise id as they see fit.  However if it comes to a disagreement
that can not be resolved in a peaceable manner and some one has to
make an arbitrary decision I volunteer to be the outside arbiter that
makes that decision.

Eric