[gPXE-devel] [PULL] ipxe-sync

Marty Connor mdc at etherboot.org
Wed Jul 7 19:09:17 EDT 2010

On 7/7/10 6:01 PM, Michael Brown wrote:
> On Wednesday 07 Jul 2010 20:25:27 Stefan Hajnoczi wrote:
>> Applied ipxe-sync!
>>
>> http://git.etherboot.org/?p=gpxe.git;a=shortlog;h=refs/heads/master
>
> You missed one:
>
>   http://git.ipxe.org/ipxe.git/commit/8406115
>
> [This is only partly tongue-in-cheek; over 60% of the gPXE changes since the
> time of the fork are now backports from iPXE. :-]

Michael,

Thanks (again) for your code contributions.  You are certainly prolific
at coding, when you choose to be.

Considering that you and your iPXE fork greatly benefit from the coding,
debugging, testing, and other development work and facilities of the
Etherboot Project community, I think you have been more than fairly
compensated for your contributions (past and present), many of which are
also work you have been paid for by your commercial customers, myself
included.

We have further provided you with a forum for to promote yourself and
your iPXE fork and to inform people (on multiple occasions) that you no
longer use or support gPXE (though you gladly accept and modify patches
contributed to it).

Quoting numbers like 60% is poor form.  You clearly have committed lots
of useful code, but there is a lot more to FOSS than that, and lots of
people help us in ways that are not so easy to quantify, but are equally
worthwhile.

So, thanks for all your patches, and you're welcome for all the work our
community provides to you in return.

> On a more serious if annoyingly pedantic note, please note that romprefix.S is
> using the EISA vendor ID assigned to Fen Systems, and so you must take care
> not to change the functionality of romprefix.S in any way that would break
> compatibility with iPXE.  (Or, alternatively, obtain and use a different vendor
> ID so that there is no potential conflict.)
> Michael

If you can be a bit more specific about what number(s) you are referring
to we will explore what is required to replace them. I don't immediately
see the number you refer to, but perhaps someone else will:

http://git.etherboot.org/?p=gpxe.git;a=blob;f=src/arch/i386/prefix/romprefix.S

I am also aware that there are a number of magic numbers in gPXE that
were embedded to help detect cases where people are using gPXE without
adhering to requirements the GPL, some of which are registered to your
company, Fen Systems.

Here, for example:

http://git.etherboot.org/?p=gpxe.git;a=blob;f=src/include/gpxe/iscsi.h;hb=HEAD#l179

Thanks for bringing these issues to our attention.  We (as a community)
will determine how to appropriately deal with them.

/ Marty /