[gPXE-devel] gPXE performance under virtualization

Geoff Lywood glywood at vmware.com
Tue Jul 6 22:00:31 EDT 2010

Please be very careful about using direct VGA and PC keyboard in the default build. On many machines, int 10h also goes to a serial port (or can be configured to do so). Many people rely on serial as a means of remotely monitoring servers, and your optimizations would break their workflow.

It might be better to optimize is_key() so that it checks bytes 0040:001a and 0040:001c in the BIOS data area before dropping into real mode. I'm not sure what kind of compatibility problems that would hit, but it might be worth a try.

I'd also like to point out that including serial console support in its current state is a bad idea: if you ever enable the serial console on a machine without a serial port, it will behave as if the backspace key is permanently held down, rendering any user interface useless.

Thanks,
Geoff