[gPXE-devel] MAC Address Format

Jarrod Johnson jarrod.b.johnson+gpxe at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 06:58:31 EDT 2010

If the project is interested, I patched gPXE to add another capability.  I
was trying to make gPXE present to boot mac in the same format as pxelinux
IPAPPEND, but they didn't use colons.  A lot of linux installers/netboot
code understands BOOTIF as-is, so this was required to evoke those features.
 So I added a ${netX/machyp} so I could have hyphenated mac addresses like
pxelinux did.  Also, to poster, I recommend you use netX instead of net0.
 net0 will always be the 'first' nic, netX will be whatever nic you booted
from.if you really want a reliable per-host identifier rather than
per-interface, I would eye uuid a little more closely. You may encounter a
situation where predicting which interface would be 'net0' could be
difficult.

Here is the patch I used.

http://xcat.svn.sf.net/svnroot/xcat/xcat-dep/trunk/gpxe/gpxe-1.0.0-hyphenatedmachyp.patch